All entries tagged tv.
You can subscribe to an RSS feed of this list.
Star Trek fans: You're probably already watching Discovery, but if you're not also watching The Orville, you're really missing out!
Arrowverse Elseworlds crossover spoiler-free review!
- if you’re not aware, episode 1 - Flash S05E09, episode 2 - Arrow S07E09, episode 3 - Supergirl S04E09
- I don’t usually review TV show crossovers but TBH I can’t recall any other any TV show crossovers and I just really, really enjoyed this one
- basically a love letter to DC comics fans, a celebration of dc comics/TV/movies from the past four decades, and apparently a prelude of things to come. Non-comicbook fans might not be as happy as me lol
- all three episodes were great (middle episode slightly worse because Arrow lol), I was smiling all the time and apploauding all the references
- frankly not everything made sense, but I’ll forgive it (I mean, have you *read* crisis on infinite earths? lol
- bonus: for more zaniness, also watch this week’s Legend’s of Tomorrow, they didn’t want to be outdone!
- I also watched Aquaman today, and that was fine (review later) but I decided to write a review of this crossover first!
- tonight’s reading list (image attached)
Discovery had a great S1 ending, especially since I'm currently watching TOS as well
I had put off watching PUNISHER (on Netflix) since i wasn't really too hyped about it. But now that I finally got around to it, I really like it.
The pacing was good throughout the season (which was one of the weakness of the recent MCU Netflix seasons such as Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Defenders) and it didn't falter halfway through and stuck the landing.
If you're an X-Men fan and you're not watching The Gifted, you're really missing out. It's a more serious, street-level take on “the mutant problem” than the movies could ever handle.
Black Mirror S4 spoiler-free review! (episodes listed from most enjoyed to least):
4.6. Black Museum (reminds me of White Christmas)
4.1. USS Callister (fun, but I was annoyed by how infeasible the technical premise was)
4.4. Hang the DJ (kind of telegraphed the ending)
4.3. Crocodile (felt like a police procedural)
4.5. Metalhead (would have probably appreciated it more if it wasn't a Black Mirror episode)
4.2. Arkangel (kinda boring and draggy)
Overall I liked S3 a lot more
RT @williamsmeatsix: Brooklyn Nine-Nine might get cancelled so here's a few reasons why you should start watching this show (spoiler-free,…
(Watching Star Trek Discovery) Why are there no seat belts in the future?
DEFENDERS spoiler-free review and episode guide:
(Okay, maybe a teensy little spoiler in that image - but I couldn't resist lol)
- this series moves forward each of the four protaganists
- you get to see most of the supporting cast come back and maybe even get a teeny bit of development in
- the plot is reasonably tight, i had a few minor nitpicks but now i can't even remember most of them
- Maybe it's just the fanboy in me, but I was really excited when they met each other for the first time
- Jessica Jones still the best character
- Iron Fist still the weakest point (see the image), but it's not as bad as it was in his own series. It helps that he's not surrounded by the weird Meachum family and has a better ensemble to work off of. I also really enjoyed how enthusiastic he was at getting a team together
- fight scenes are pretty good (at least better than in the Iron Fist series - also it's still weird that Daredevil fights a lot better than Iron Fist. He must have been a real slacker during that decade in Kun'Lun)
- I suspect you can come in cold without watching any of the previous series, they do bring up their backstories a lot
- I'm disappointed that there was no title drop
ep1 ok ep2 great ep3 great ep4 great ep5 draggy, this was the weakest ep for me ep6 ok ep7 good ep8 great. there's a post-credits scene(Click on images to view full-size)
Watching NCIS Los Angeles: Kahawig ni LL Cool J si Bato
Finished watching Westworld. It's pretty good. Once you get introduced to the premise of the show, it's easy to imagine where it goes from there - these types of stories tend to go in that particular direction. Where the show shines is the narrative, the way the events unfold, everything is very well done. Some things from the earlier episodes are quite vague, unclear or sometimes downright contradictory, but things clear up pretty well near the end of the 10-episode run, though a number of things are still left hanging (including the fates of the surviving characters) for the presumptive season two to help clear up. Not for kids. Lots of violence and nudity and whatnot. Also, there's a post-credits scene.
Luke Cage spoiler-free review:
- this is an unapologetically very black show. It highlights black culture, black music, black history, and so on
- gang violence, sleazy politicians, corrupt cops
- most of the cast give great performances
- rosario dawson's role seems to get bigger with each additional series
- lots of great easter eggs for comic book fans
- might have been an episode or two too long
- I did not like the ending too much, though I can see why they might have gone that way
So I watched a couple of eps of the new Criminal Minds spin-off Beyond Borders featuring Gary Sinise's FBI team intervening in crimes with American victims in other countries. I'm tempted to keep watching solely for the eventual episode set in the Philippines where there are militant leftists protesting against imperialist interference in local affairs
Finished watching the Battlestar Galactica 2004 series. Really great space opera throughout the series but that ending was weaksauce
Finally finished watching Jessica Jones. It started out a bit slow, but the pace picked up after a few episodes. It's a different kind of grimdark than Daredevil was, but everything about the plot was great and tight. I was worried about what they planned to do with Kilgrave but it turned out he might have been a better villain here than Fisk was in Daredevil
I started watching House. I like it when he calls people idiots
Finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season One felt a bit slow and I was thinking maybe the show was overhyped, but things picked up around season two and I can say the finale was fairly satisfying
After seven months of watching Deep Space Nine, I watched the last episode tonight. A very satisfying series and finale. Overall while TNG was a lot more iconic and well-known I feel like DS9 had a much better story to tell and a much more satisfying ending as well
I just finished watching all 3 seasons of Batman Beyond. This was easily the best part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdLCDHMGuv0
“HE DIED!” - how I know my brother was watching Game of Thrones
Just finished episode 6 of House of Cards. Pretty good, but I have to stop watching now else I'll be late on the morrow
Watching Doctor Who early in the morning
I confess, sometimes I put off watching Homeland because it's just too intense
Started watching Dr. Who. This feels so campy lol
Just finished watching the 4th season of Chuck. Wow, what a twist haha. Looking forward to the final season
Just finished watching Firefly/Serenity. Wow.
Roy Tang is a:
- programmer, engineer, scientist, critic, gamer, dreamer, and kid-at-heart
- Frustrated writer and sketch artist
- Magic player on weekends
- Software developer since 2003. If you'd like to work with me, take a look at my resume.
roytang.net is a personal site, an E/N site, and kind of a commonplace book; I post about a random assortment of topics that interest me including software development, Magic the Gathering, pop culture, gaming, and tech life. This site is perpetually under renovation.