- Joel Spolsky, of Joel on Software, is collecting nominations for the best software related essays of 2004. A lot of them are interesting reads. Reading these essays make me realize that, well, I like being a coder, a programmer and a developer. (These are different things, figure it out :D)
- I was bored. And I was going through the Sinfest archives. But then I thought, why should I bother going through these comics manually over the net? I'm a programmer, I'll make a SinfestDownloader! I've left it running for about 4 hours now. There's a lot of Sinfest strips... around 40MB worth have already been downloaded! I wonder if this violates any sort of copyright? ... Update: Done in a little over 4.5 hrs. Sinfest weighs in at a bit more than 1700 strips, and roughy 50MB of space. I wonder if I should try for Penny-Arcade? 😛
- I passed the JITSE.
- http://www.pbase.com/images/24017078.original.jpg (Edit 04-Feb-06: This is now a dead link. The image used to hold a google job ad on a billboard that was obviously aimed at developers.)
- Yesterday, at around 6 PM, as I was winding up the day's work, we received a request from the user that they wanted some maintenance work done on one of the more obscure programs. And they needed it the next day! And we still had to have a meeting (we had originally scheduled the meeting for 3:00PM but had to keep pushing it due to stuff coming up) I wanted to reach out across the internet and slap whoever made the maintenance request on the head. End result: Most of us went home a bit before 12, the meeting never
- How's work you ask? It's going pretty well actually. Everything's still easy-peasy for me as I'm undergoing some training and stuff. I'm a bit worried about what happens after the training though, from the looks of it people put in a lot of overtime here. :( The best thing about the job is that I'm learning a lot of stuff. In two weeks I learned SQL, PL/SQL and Delphi. Starting tomorrow I'm gonna be training on Oracle Developer. The work itself looks easy enough — nothing I can't handle. Since most of the coding is done using high-level RAD Tools,