To clarify, the spell wouldn’t fizzle, but it would deal no damage. Hmm. Magic Lawyering is tough stuff. Am I wrong in that you can theoretically target a non-flying creature with the flying component but it won’t deal damage unless you can somehow give it flying before it resolves?

Wow, long time since I’ve played magic myself. Good thing you can keep up with the card upkeeps. And I guess just a bit more practice?Also, Re: “I’m pretty sure giving it flying would make it an invalid target, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong”, I think you’re right, since the card states “deals 3 damage to target creature with/without flying” versus “Target a flying/non-flying creature, and Branching Bolt deals 3 damage to it.

Comment by trinity on Speed Reading

214 wpm at 73% comperhension. If the article was Twilight or another feel-good novel, am sure i’m way faster and with better comprehension. 😛

Comment by switch on Magic the Puzzling: Nicol Bolas

Whichever player goes first eventually kills all the planeswalkers on the other side:Player B goes first: Elspeth makes 1/1, Sarkhan gives +1/+1 and haste, goon deals Bolas 2 damage, Ajani finishes him off with Lightning Helix. Tezzeret twiddles his thumbs.Player A goes first: with no library considerations, Bolas kills Elspeth. Sarkhan gains loyalty, Ajani Lightning Helixes him, and Tezzeret does nothing important (can he gain loyalty?). Bolas picks off Sarkhan, the two remaining wait to die.

Comment by roy on Code Quality

I know full well about the benefits of refactoring and code reviews. What I’m saying is, there are other factors to consider. As developers who take pride in our work surely you should want to refactor and have someone looking at your code almost all the time. But like all things, software is largely a product of compromise. Sure, it works out well in the long run. But sometimes you just want to make it through the short run, you have to realize that cutting back on these code quality measures and accepting the technical debt is a viable business option.

Comment by Aleks on Code Quality

That’s supposed to be: You *will* be able to justify the effort to refactor the code on its long-term benefits.

Comment by Aleks on Code Quality

Refactoring is an investment. You should be able to justify the effort to refactor the code on its long-term benefits. As for code reviews, I now think that its effectivity is largely dependent on when it’s conducted. It’s less effective when the developer is already done with the whole module/functionality and the QA team is about to do their thing. I think it’s better to conduct the reviews when the developer has done a little coding and his design has been laid out.

Just to let u know, I went 5-1 with this list: // Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)// Lands 3 [UL] Ghitu Encampment 4 [LRW] Auntie’s Hovel 4 [FUT] Graven Cairns 4 [IA] Sulfurous Springs 7 [UNH] Mountain 2 [TE] Reflecting Pool// Creatures 2 [SHM] Murderous Redcap 3 [FNM] Mogg Fanatic 4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny 4 [SHM] Tattermunge Maniac 3 [SC] Siege-Gang Commander// Spells 4 [MOR] Bitterblossom 4 [LRW] Tarfire 4 [10E] Incinerate 4 [SHM] Flame Javelin 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize// Sideboard SB: 4 [ALA] Infest SB: 4 [SHM] Guttural Response SB: 3 [SHM] Everlasting Torment SB: 4 [MR] Loxodon Warhammerhf))

hi, keep it up, since practice makes perfect. This is what ill be running this weekend. nice report. have fun!// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)// Lands 3 [UL] Ghitu Encampment 4 [LRW] Auntie’s Hovel 4 [FUT] Graven Cairns 4 [IA] Sulfurous Springs 8 [UNH] Mountain// Creatures 3 [SHM] Murderous Redcap 3 [FNM] Mogg Fanatic 4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny 4 [SHM] Tattermunge Maniac 2 [SC] Siege-Gang Commander// Spells 4 [MOR] Bitterblossom 4 [LRW] Tarfire 4 [10E] Incinerate 4 [SHM] Flame Javelin 3 [LRW] Thoughtseize 2 [ALA] Blightning// Sideboard SB: 3 [ALA] Infest SB: 3 [SHM] Guttural Response SB: 4 [DS] Dragon’s Claw SB: 2 [REW] Pyroclasm SB: 3 [SHM] Everlasting Torment

Comment by guzeppe on Speed Reading

664 wpm, 67% comprehension… not sure what that means.

Comment by frank on Speed Reading

my god, 289 wpm at 64% comprehension!! i’m like a grade-schooler!

Comment by mikong on Speed Reading

Damn I’m much slower than you. 294wpm screen reading at 100% comprehension. Though I have to admit I re-read some parts. I guess that makes me an above-average-almost-good-reader. heheheA good reader screen reads at 300wpm right? At 472wpm, I think that makes you a very good reader. 🙂

Comment by roy on Transition to 2009

More details later. I think the timezone on the server is wrong, using this comment to test.

Comment by Roy on PTQ Kyoto I

I always get so greedy with removal. If I had a Bone Splinters or an Executioner’s Capsule, I probably would have cut white from the get-go. I always worry about having an out to big fat dragon-class creatures (which red burn can’t handle), so I always try to fit in Oblivion Ring.Manaplasm was awesome for me exactly once when I played it on turn three with a four drop and five drop in hand.

Comment by Daniel on PTQ Kyoto I

I think you should cut white. You already have a lot of removal so you don’t really need to play Oblivion Ring since it just makes you have to play a fourth basic land type. Plus you left out some really good on-color stuff for those white removal spells, like Topan Ascetic, and less so but still solid 2nd Carrion Thrash and Resounding Roar. You could cut one or two of the gold 2-drops since it seems like (haven’t layed out the deck myself) you’re pretty spread among BRG, and you have a decent amount of removal to deal with a rush.

Comment by ogie on PTQ Kyoto I

I kept wondering all day whether Manaplasm was any good and later someone pointed out I should have maindecked Topan Ascetic – I keep underestimating that guy – so I tried out swapping him for the Ooze, but couldn’t get definite results to tell me the ‘plasm really sucked.you play both 🙂

Comment by KC on Free Flex Shirt from Adobe

Ah, yes… the new shirt. I remember that he was trying to be subtle about it. Una, kunwari may question so he asked me to come over his seat. Since I didn’t notice, he walked over sa JV area to parade his shirt. We eventually got the hint 😛

Comment by peng on links for 2008-10-12

what the??? i got 7.8. ano ba ang edge ng triangle? side? i suck at geom.

Comment by noems on Philippine Airlines

ayy nako. i’m hating the cebu pacific site right now.i spent almost the whole afternoon booking and reloading pages. i haven’t passed the flight selection yet!With the heavy traffic of Users specially with their frequent promos, they really should improve the website.If you can’t serve it, don’t sell it.

Comment by Tim Medina on Starting out

Hey Roy!Good to see another pinoy interested in django. (You might want to join the [google group of pinoy django users][1])About your problem, you might want to take a look at [ this][2].[Tim][3][1]: http://djangoph.com[2]: http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/urls/#reverse[3]: http://devblog.timmedina.com/

Comment by noems on Every Wednesday is Hotdog Day!

haha sorry for the trouble of making you do UAT on your comments link.hehe my office pc is using IE v6.

Comment by noems on links for 2008-10-12

you changed your theme … for me?! hahahafor the record, my eyeballing game score was 5.53. (lower is better 😛 )balik mo na sa dating theme. hehe

Comment by Chry Cheng on Bayan DSL Proxy

It was set for HTTP only. Apparently, that’s the protocol used by Software Update.

Comment by Roy on Bayan DSL Proxy

You should be able to set the proxy server only for HTTP.

Comment by Chry Cheng on Bayan DSL Proxy

Had to turn it off because my Mac’s Software Update program kept timing out when downloading. :(

Hi Benj. I actually read your blog also, sana nga dumami tayo hehe.About the decklists and cardnames, I do programming so I wrote a plugin for Wordpress that automatically formats the decklists for me. Unfortunately since you’re using Blogger, it’s more difficult since Blogger doesn’t support plugins. It might be possible using JavaScript… I’ll think about it hehe

Nice blog you got here. Sana dumami pa ang mga pinoy MTG bloggers. 🙂Question: How do you make the decklists look like the way they do in yellow boxes? Even the cardnames have links. Do you do that manually? I’m really interested in having the same thing for my own blog. 😉Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work!

Comment by Roy on Barcamp Manila

Thanks Leah, I hope so too, I learned a lot!

Comment by haellopez on Barcamp Manila

Nice to hear you enjoyed the first BarCamp Manila, Roy!Hope to see you again next time.regards,leah

Googled “manila zip codes”. First hit has ZIP codes per municipality, arranged by location alphabetically.Wala lang… nakakabobo kasi pag-draft ng prototypes. Tinopak ako last week at linagay ko lahat ng country + country code sa mga country code dropdown list ng screens ko instead of just putting 5-10 country codes. Kaya yun, familiar yung pattern sa combo box sa pic sa taas.