- December 17th. It was around 10pm, I was getting off the bus carrying a box of ensaymada in my right hand and using my left hand to make my way down the crowded aisle despite the speed and turbulence of the bus ride. As I alighted off the bus, I felt movement in my left pants pocket, where my wallet was. As soon as my left hand was free I checked to find my wallet missing and looked back accusingly at the mass of unfamiliar faces crowded along the door of the bus. One man whose face I couldn't see
- I got tired of having to maintain my own comment moderation system, and I decided against throwing out the django code and going back to wordpress. Instead, I'm migrating the comment system to DISQUS. I love this little mess of django code that's running my blog. I wish I had time to clean it up. But for now, at least I can have a more industrial-strength comment system in place.
- I was able to chain a sealed event into a number of drafts this weekend. Here's one of my better drafts: Pack 1 pick 1: My Pick: src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/sorin_markov.jpg" class="pick" /> Pack 1 pick 2: My Pick: src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/nimana_sell_sword.jpg" class="pick" /> Pack 1 pick 3: My Pick: src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/gomazoa.jpg" class="pick" /> Pack 1 pick 4: My Pick: src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/surrakar_marauder.jpg" class="pick" /> Pack 1 pick 5: My Pick: src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/grazing_gladehart.jpg" class="pick" /> Pack 1 pick 6: src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/whiplash_trap.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/piranha_marsh.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/timbermaw_larva.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/pyromancer_ascension.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/harrow.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/into_the_roil.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/bladetusk_boar.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/kor_cartographer.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/forest.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ZEN/mind_sludge.jpg" class="card" />
- The following are M10 sealed: Friday Oct 9, 8am Sunday Oct 11, 10pm Friday, Oct 16 6am Sunday, Oct 18 8pm The following are Zendikar sealed: Monday, Nov 9, 1am Friday, Nov 13, 8am Monday, Nov 16, 3am Sunday, Nov 22, 11pm Friday, Nov 27 7am Saturday, Nov 28, 8am Sunday, Nov 29, 9pm Friday, Dec 4, 8am Monday, Dec 6, 1am Monday, Dec 20, 3am Friday, Dec 25, 7am Monday, Dec 27, 3am Good luck to all Pinoys playing in the MTGO PTQs!
- Want to post decklists online to tweet to your friends? You can use the Decklist Sharing Tool! As an example, here's a recent decklist posted to twitter by Evan Erwin that I converted using the tool: I wish I had more decklists to share, but to be honest, I haven't thought much about Zendikar standard yet =p Update May 2020: The app used to be deployed on Google App Engine, but is no longer available. I've since uploaded the code to Github at https://github.com/roytang/mtg-utils
- I've been meaning to write a nontrivial app using Google App Engine for a while, and here's my first weekend project: Decklist Sharing Tool, an tool for MTG players to share decklists online. I had the decklist parsing and autocarding code available for a while (and used on my MTG related posts), so that part was fairly easy, I got it done under 3 hours I think. The rest of the time (around 5-ish hours) was spent on glue logic, fixing minor bugs, working on HTML layout, cleaning up text, etc. It feels pretty good for a one manday effort,
- As you might have heard, there was a helluva storm in the Philippines yesterday, and I was pretty much stuck at the Titan Hobby Shop for most of the day. Luckily, that meant I get to play in the Zendikar prerelease. My Zendikar prerelease record: 1-3 =/ I had a decent pool and went with a UW build, but I played too loosely and the stars just weren't aligned. My pool was very bad value-wise as well, having mostly "nice" rares like Lullmage Mentor and Lorthos, the Tidemaker. My sealed pool had Blade of the Bloodchief, which I was a
- Wanted to try out draft recording, the same method that link="http://pinoyraredrafter.blogspot.com">pinoyraredrafter uses. The below is an ACR draft I tried this morning. I think the deck was decent, although I made a number of questionable picks. I don't have match stories to go along though, I got mana screwed in game 1 then lost a nailbiter in game 3. Pack 1 pick 1: src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/vectis_silencers.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/resounding_silence.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/deathgreeter.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/kederekt_creeper.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/resounding_roar.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/souls_fire.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/steward_of_valeron.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/sighted_caste_sorcerer.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/tortoise_formation.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/tidehollow_strix.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/blood_cultist.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/skeletonize.jpg" class="card" /> src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ALA/rockcaster_platoon.jpg"
- Days seem to fly by at such an unforgiving pace. Has it really been thirty-one years now? I have a lot to be thankful for the past thirty-one years. Family, friends and other wonderful people that provide love and support; a roof over my head, three square meals a day minimum and a nice, stable and well-paying job. For all of these, I am thankful. One would think that at such a point in my life, I would be very satisfied for having been so blessed. I was never one for being so easily satisfied. I remember when I was
- Grand Prix Bangkok happens three weekends from now, and I've already booked the flight and hotel. All I need now are byes! The fourth GPT here was yesterday, Sunday Aug 2 at Robinson's Galleria. The format is M10 Sealed and I found myself faced with the following sealed pool: White 1 Blinding Mage 1 Divine Verdict 1 Elite Vanguard 1 Harm's Way 1 Lifelink 2 Palace Guard 1 Righteousness 1 Safe Passage 1 Serra Angel 1 Silence 1 Veteran Armorsmith 2 Veteran Swordsmith 1 Wall of Faith 1 White Knight Blue 1 Air Elemental 1 Cancel 1 Convincing Mirage 1
- RIP Wrath of God (Click to view full-size) RIP Wrath of God July 10, 2009, 9:57 a.m. View post Close
- I haven't been posting tournament reports lately, because frankly I haven't been performing very well lately. Here are my last month and a half's worth of results: May 23/GPT Bangkok #1 (SCR sealed): 0-2 drop May 31/GPT Bangkok #2 (SCR sealed): 2-3 drop June 6/GPT Bangkok #3 (SCR sealed): 4-2 June 7/Standard (Bant Finest Hour): 2-3 drop June 13/Standard-Nats Qualifier (Bant Finest Hour) 1-2 drop June 20/Standard-Nats Qualifier (Bant Finest Hour) 1-2 drop June 28/Standard-Nats Qualifier (BG Elves) 0-2 drop As you can see, I decided to switch to BG Elves after a few more tournaments with Bant. Despite the
- Here's the scenario: Last Sunday in the early morning, there was a fire in our office building, which hit some power stuff in the basement. So yesterday (Monday), the whole building was running on generators without air conditioning. Last night, we were notified that the power was back in the building, but just in case, we should come in to work in casual clothes ("dress down"), normally reserved for casual Fridays/Saturdays. Now, this got me thinking: what's the rationale here? Do we get to dress down because it might be hot? There was like a week long period during summer
- A couple of friends were over from Singapore last weekend, and we decided to hang out and open a few boxes of Shards block cards to play casual sealed/draft, using the new M10 rules so we could get a feel for it. We played 1 sealed and 2 drafts; I personally played in the equivalent of around 10 rounds of limited, and my observations are: Number of times damage on the stack came up relevant: None Number of times there was a double-blocking situation: One, but we forgot to order blockers and I just immediately used a trick to get
- In case you haven't heard, the internets are in an uproar over the announced M10 rules changes. A lot of famous Magic people like Randy Beuhler and Zvi Mowshowitz have chimed in with their opinions and in general a lot of forum posters are whining about the most controversial change: the removal of combat damage on the stack. I, for one, welcome our new non-damage stacking overlords. One of Magic's strengths has always been that it is a dynamic, ever-changing game, and this is just another step in its' evolution. Sure, it might turn out to be a wrong step
- The first GPT for Bangkok was last Saturday, May 23, 2009 at Robinson's Galleria. Here's the pool I was given to work with: White 1 Cradle of Vitality 1 Excommunicate 1 Rockcaster Platoon 1 Welkin Guide 1 Asha's Favor 1 Aven Trailblazer 1 Lapse of Certainty 1 Paragon of the Amesha 1 Valiant Guard Blue + Hybrid 1 Call to Heel 1 Cloudheath Drake 1 Coma Veil 1 Kathari Screecher 1 Protomatter Powder 1 Faerie Mechanist 2 Grixis Illusionist 1 Master Transmuter 1 Parasitic Strix 1 Esper Stormblade Black + Hybrid 1 Archdemon of Unx 1 Bone Splinters 1 Executioner's
- Last Friday, I was still unsure what to play at Regionals this year, having decided to nix Five-Color Control. Given the cards available, I could easily assemble RDW/Blightning or Chapin's 5-Color Blood. But in the end, I gave in to the hype surrounding Tommy Ashton's PTQ-winning decklist, Bant with Finest Hour: However, due to card availability issues, I didn't have any Dauntless Escorts and only 1 Noble Hierarch. I moved cards around and tried to fit in Vendillion Clique, which would serve as an additional evasive attacker on top of Shorecrasher Mimic and Jhessian Infiltrator, plus a little extra disruption.
- Alara Reborn is finally available locally! For a while I thought about heading to Baguio for the King of the North tournament, but the fact is I have no standard deck ready at the moment. Besides, I wanted to practice sealed deckbuilding for the upcoming Bangkok GPTs, so this morning I was sleeving up a 40-card deck at Robinson's Galleria. Lands 1 Jungle Shrine 3 Plains 6 Island 5 Swamp Creatures 1 Cloudheath Drake 1 Master of Etherium 1 Fleshbag Marauder 1 Viscera Dragger 1 Sharuum the Hegemon 1 Tower Gargoyle 2 Ethersworn Shieldmage 1 Glassdust Hulk 1 Sanctum Plowbeast
- And so, our delayed prerelease. My sealed deck (at least after initial tweaks -- it varies slightly from my submitted list):