- Like a howling banshee, typhoon Milenyo tore through most of Metro Manila last Thursday, leaving chaos and devastation in its' wake. The Philippine Star's headline was most apt: ‘Milenyo' shuts down Metro. Literally. Most places in Luzon lost power before noon of Thursday, owing to ravaged electrical transmission lines and substations. As of last night, at most 60% of areas have had power restored. Luckily it included both my place of work and place of residence, as losing access to electricity makes me feel like a peon in the dark ages. I wonder what peasants did back then after nightfall,
- Yeah! Haven't won a prerelease shirt since Odyssey, but I successfully won four edge-of-my-pants matches to take home the coveted prerelease-shirt-that's-always-two-sizes-too-small-for-me-anyways! Man... one would think they would have shirts bigger than XXL. Lots of husky guys play Magic in the Philippines. Anyway, yeah 4-0, running a blue-white aggro-control. I opened awesome cards -- Ancestral Vision, Lotus Bloom, Ith, Teferi, Whispers, etc. I was a bit worried that going UW would be a bad idea since I didn't have access to either R or B for removal, but seems it was the right decision all along. Lots of people played at
- Today's Dilbert Comic amuses me because I didn't think the term "guest chair" existed outside of our office.
- Google Trends: world domination, world peace People need to take world domination more seriously. I'd guess that at most 10% of the population have even seriously considered world domination!
- Wanting to catch the last RGD Sealed tourney of the season, I headed out to NG Galleria today for GPT Sydney. Unfortunately, their shipment of Rav tourney packs failed to arrive, so anyone who wanted to play had to play Coldsnap Sealed. Bah, I got a terrible set, one of my rares was a Jokulmorder. Went RG/w, with the white being two Gelid Shackles that failed to show up whenever I faced down an Adarkar Valkyrie. The good thing was that GPTs always give product prizes to the top 32 participants. And there were only 30 participants here. 😀 For
- About a month ago, one of the devs at my company approached me with a personal concern: he needed to borrow some cash. Quite a bit, actually, for some expensive medical / family reason. Large amount, six digits (in pesos), roughly two-thirds of my current cash savings (To save you the math... my cash savings were somewhere between 150,000 and 1.5M). Funny thing is, I didn't hesitate a bit. I knew this guy and he was okay, I didn't have any reason to doubt he'd pay me back in a month like he promised (it's due in about a week.)