Monday weeknotes are here to stay apparently.
A QuoteOn I wrote:
To be an artist, you don’t have to compose music or paint or be in the movies or write books. It’s just a way of living. It has to do with paying attention, remembering, filtering what you see and answering back, participating in life.
– Viggo Mortensen
- Elon Musk has completed acquisition of Twitter (see links below for more discussion). He has immediately made a few controversial decisions.
- Brazil has rejected the re-election bid of the dictator Bolsonaro.
- A Halloween stampede killed a number of people in Seoul.
- PH: Tropical storm Paeng battered the country over the weekend. Rains were howling and strong winds were blowing over here. I heard things were much worse in the south.
It has been a difficult week. One of my oldest and closest friends passed away last Wednesday after a couple of weeks in a coma. I have been feeling down, unproductive and restless, on and off. Not much else to say about it. Today's weeknotes won't be very long.
- Just the normal grinding in Eternal and Magic Arena, still not doing particularly well. Not gonna end up in the top ranks this month.
- I also tried and streamed the new Marvel card game Marvel Snap. The game seems fine, though a bit grindy. Will try to add it to the daily games for a while, but I'm not confident it's sustainable to be playing three different card games on the regular!
- Still trying to power through SMT5 and Paradise Killer.
- Street Fighter V was very good this week though, I finally managed to hit Gold rank!
Some Links of Interest
Pluralistic: 20 Oct 2022 It was all downhill after the Cuecat – Pluralistic: Doctorow on the lack of joy in new tech, and the history of the cuecat
The common digital “square” should be the entire web, with a diverse set of platforms. There should be common APIs but many communities with their own rules, goals, and business models.
Concentrating too much power in only a couple social media companies is what created the mess we’re in. The way out is more platforms, free to make the best decisions for their users knowing that there are options to leave and less lock-in for developers.
s13e10: Dying Slowly, and then All At Once; Scrollytelling: Dan Hon on link rot and maintaining old web sites
Welcome to hell, Elon - The Verge: Pretty good essay on the problems Musk is likely to run into now that he's the boss of Twitter
Visit the Links page for more links of interest.
This coming week:
- Nothing much. I think I will take it easy this week and just accept I probably won't be productive for most of it.