This week's header image was generated using DALL-E with the prompt
a ultradetailed beautiful panting of a stylish woman sitting on a chair looking over a peaceful bay during sunset, by conrad roset, greg rutkowski and makoto shinkai.
Bits and Pieces
The big news this past week is the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Britain's longest reigning monarch. She is succeeded by Charles III. And I think a lot of Brits discovered how many people on the internet weren't too fond of either their beloved monarch or their history of colonialism.
PH/Covid: Cases seem to have plateaued, instead of continuing to go down as I'd hoped. In fact, there is even a slight uptick in the NCR positivity rate, possibly due to the reopening of face to face classes a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully we don't get into a big surge.
Last night I stayed up late to get updates on the Marvel/LucasArts announcements at D23. Some new trailers for upcoming D+ series were released. Nothing too exciting; most of the juicy stuff was kept as exclusive footage for on-site attendees. A lot of people were disappointed with the lack of FF casting news or new film announcements.
This weekend I also worked a bit on some updates to the site's backend processing, but I made a deployment mistake and left some batch jobs processing while resetting the indexes which resulted in a flood of tweets and toots from me on Twitter and Mastodon. Took me a while to clean up the mess!
Gaming: I think I'm around halfway through SMT5 (on Switch). Also still playing Paradise Killer (via PC Game Pass), but I have no idea if I'm doing well. Just normal grinding in Eternal Card Game. Been drafting Dominaria United on Magic Arena, here's a Youtube playlist. The week started out well for DMU drafts and Street Fighter V in terms of winning, but that quickly soured and the second half of the week was terrible; hopefully I can turn things around this coming week.
Speaking of streaming, some friends convinced me to try streaming Words on Stream on Twitch. It was fun, but we couldn't get too far, probably because I don't have that many viewers!
Media Diet: Last week I finished reading Maskerade (a Discworld book ) and also managed to watch 3 movies.
Some Links of Interest
Short stories: How much do you make? How do you sell one? How long does it take to write?:
Why Does a Librarian Own a Social Media Site That's Been Around for Longer Than Facebook?: I've been reading MeFi without an account on and off for more than 10 years, maybe I should sign up
After self-hosting my email for twenty-three years I have thrown in the towel. The oligopoly has won:
Visit the Links page for more links of interest.
And some interesting stuff from Twitter:
- A thread about ADHD hyperfocus.
- A thread about how Hollywood is crumbling for profit.
- A wholesome and joyful video of bros just having fun.
- Last week I mentioned not being able to find something I read about people not reading their own website/blog contents. I found out it was actually a Twitter thing! (via Winnie Lim).
This coming week:
- I think Tokyo Game Show is next week, but I'm not looking forward to anything specific there I think. Maybe expect some new SF6 news?
- You can buy me a coffee!
- Click here to post a comment!
- You can share or reply to this post on Twitter.
- You can share or reply to this post on Mastodon.
- You can write a reply on your own site and submit the URL as a webmention via the form below.
- Or you can just contact me!