This post is coming in late, because it's been a busy day.
"Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman
Related comic by Zen Pencils.
- Covid (presumably the Omicron variant) continues to tear through the country. Over the past few weeks we have seen record highs for both new cases and positivity rate. We had to go out to a big city hospital this week to get some unrelated tests done, and there was a long queue of people outside the ER waiting to get either tested or admitted. Scary stuff.
Links of Interest
- Phil Gyford writes about his favorite Ask Metafilter posts of 2021. I love lists like these and this one might take a while to get through.
- Ben Werdmüller reminds us that everyone should blog
- Moxie Marlinspike writes about his first impressions of web3. It's a good, nuanced take on web3 and NFTs.
- Ben Werdmüller (again? Fine, I'll add him to the old RSS reader) writes about hustle culture.
Visit the Links page for more links of interest.
- For some reason this week seemed quite busy, though there was nothing unusual other than the hospital errand in the middle of the week (which thankfully resulted in some good news). I think it's because I want to do/watch/read/play so many things and yet I don't have enough time to do everything I want!
- Have yet to fall behind on the daily sketching, although they are coming later and later in the day (I have yet to do the one for today). Anyway, here's one of Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn:
- This week I kicked off the 2022 list of movies with Pig (2021).
- This week I binged Only Murders in the Building
- I also started watching Arcane since people kept recommending it to me, but I'm only halfway through.
- Behind: Star Trek Discovery, Legends of Tomorrow, Young Justice
- Caught Up: The Expanse (Series finale this week!)
- Yet to start: The Witcher season 2, The Book of Boba Fett, Cobra Kai season 4
- Reading: Kicked off the 2022 list of books by reading and finishing The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie. Also started Leviathan Wakes, the first book of The Expanse novels after which the show is based. Might also want to queue up some nonfiction at some point.
- Trivia: Still doing NYT/WaPo crossword sessions over Discord. I also introduced the group to Wordle, which I first wrote about back in November.
This coming week:
- Eternals comes out for streaming this week! It kind of got mixed reviews, but still looking forward to an MCU film.
- The Expanse series finale!
- Peacemaker (spinning off from The Suicide Squad) is out on HBO this week as well, not yet sure if I'll be watching it.