“Man is only fully human when he plays!” - Friedrich Schiller
- Our MECQ period is due to end on the 7th, after which NCR is going to enter an experimental phase of "granular lockdowns" where people in certain areas will not be allowed to come and go at all. Presumably food and other supplies will be brought to them, and if they have to leave for work because they are essential workers, they can't come back - employers need to either provide temporary lodging or allow them to WFH. As if those things are easy! We'll see how terrible this turns out.
- In the meantime, cases are still trending high, and our president is busy picking fights to distract from procurement corruption scandals as exposed in recent Senate hearings. In response to the attacks, his favorite senator / lackey / presidential assistant has declared undying love.
- In what seems to be the next step of Xi Jinping's own cultural revolution, China has banned minors from playing online games except for 3 specific hours on the weekends and also effeminate men from tv.
Links of interest:
- Maybe You Missed It, but the Internet ‘Died’ Five Years Ago - This is my new favorite conspiracy theory because it's at least partially true
- Youtube: First trailer for Amazon's upcoming Wheel of Time series. NGL, it looks better than I thought it would
Visit the Links page for more links of interest.
From the archives, this week in history:
- 2015: I played at Grand Prix London!
- 2013: I started Duolingo!
- 2009: Disney buys Marvel for FOUR BILLION DOLLARS, starting them the road of the being the world's biggest media conglomerate. Yet here we are, 12 years later, and still no Marvel vs Disney vs Capcom.
- Still sketching daily; I am again behind by a few days; here's a comic-style thing I did to celebrate the transition into PH Christmas season:
- Movies: Only one I watched this week is Spectre (2015), last of the James Bond run.
- TV: Fourth episode of What If was kinda dark, wasn't it? This week's Brookyln Nine-Nine episodes were still meh. Still behind on Arrowverse stuff. Ted Lasso S2 seems to be meandering a lot. Still enjoying my House rewatch, maybe a bit too much, as I may have dreamt myself into a House-like episode.
- Finished GAA1 in Great Ace Attorney Chronicles!
- Daily fighting games ongoing on weeknights: Guilty Gear Strive: There's a new DLC character released for GGS this week, but I haven't encountered her as an opponent yet. Also tried to play Street Fighter V, but found it hard to find matches again. I did manage to get the 300 wins achievement already though!
- Magic Arena: Played a lot of Jumpstart Historic Horizons! Preview / spoiler season for the upcoming set Innistrad: Midnight Hunt have also started this week. I'm not too impressed, and the new Daybound / Nightbound implement seems like it might be a bit clunky, need to see how it plays.
- I missed Mythic rank on Arena for the end of the month, but I did manage to land on the monthly Eternal Card Game leaderboards for the first time!
- Reading: A bit more than halfway through Ursula K LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness
- No quiz nights still, so trivia group still doing the NYT crosswords and also occasionally the Newsday crossword, even though it sometimes has sus clues
This coming week:
- Tales of Arise releases this week; but I probably won't be getting it immediately, especially since I still have a couple of older Tales games on the backlog