It's August's end, which means Philippine "Christmas season" is about to begin. This year feels like it went by quickly, but really, who has a proper sense of time anymore.
"Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman
- Once again we hit record-breaking case numbers, positivity and death rates towards the end of the past week. MECQ was originally scheduled up to end up Aug, but now it's extended up to Sep 7. Are we renewing quarantine statuses every week now?
- International news: Adding to the problems of the USA's botched Afghanistan withdrawal, ISIS bombs Kabul, and drone strikes came after in retaliation.
Links of interest:
- https://how-i-experience-web-today.com/ is a sadly accurate portrayal of how terrible most of the modern web experience is
- https://funcooker.fun/ : Search engine for quotes from the show 30 Rock. There should be something like this for all shows!
- Youtube: The long-awaited first teaser trailer for Spider-Man No Way Home.
Visit the Links page for more links of interest.
From the archives, this week in history:
- 2013: I watched The Princess Bride for the first time, and got teased by my friends for the gaping hole in my geek cred.
- 2009: I scrubbed out of GP Bangkok
- The week feels like it went by quickly; I did some work on a project with some friends, and also did a bit of work on some of my personal projects.
- Still sketching daily; I am a bit behind today. I don't think I any of this week's sketches were particularly great. Here's one of The Grandmaster from Marvel Comics:
- Movies: Only one I watched this week is Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning.
- TV: Third episode of What If was fun, but one could easily figure out who was the culprit early on. Second pair of Brookyln Nine-Nine episodes were meh. Still enjoying my House rewatch.
- On PS4: Wrapped up the Horizon Zero Dawn run, here's a review.
- Still running through the last case of GAA1 in Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.
- Daily fighting games ongoing on weeknights: Guilty Gear Strive: There's a new DLC character released for GGS this week, but I haven't encountered her as an opponent yet. Also tried to play Street Fighter V, but found it hard to find matches again.
- Magic Arena: Jumpstart Historic Horizons is out! Here's a thread recording my runs. It's good to have a format that isn't one of the stale metagames we've had recently. Hopefully the Historic metagame is appropriately shaken up. A bunch of stuff for next year were also announced, here are my reactions.
- Reading: Currently reading Ursula K LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness
- No quiz night this past week (well, there was one, but we didn't like the categories so we skipped.) Just the usual crosswords and such.
- Wrote a blog post about Smaller Tasks.
- Decided to go through old photos on my phone, ended up posting some photos from my pandemic walks.
This coming week:
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is releasing this coming weekend! Unfortunately, it's a theaters-only release, and given the pandemic, we still don't have theaters open over here. So I may not be able to watch until it releases on Disney+ in around 45 days. The biggest danger from this is that I'm likely to be spoiled by the internet. =/