- This week’s quarantine notes.
- the weather has been so hot lately, I’ve taken to shifting my sleep schedule to afternoons so that I can maximize the use of the air-conditioning to when it’s most needed. It also helps me be more productive, since I can get more things done if I’m awake during the cooler hours of the day. I think I’m more looking forward to the end of summer than the end of quarantine.
- a bit of consulting work this week, actually had to code some stuff. Mostly integration work, API calls, that sort of thing.
- The fancy new headset I ordered off Lazada came in last Saturday.
- **Gaming: **Not much gaming this week surprisingly. The Saturday playgroup started playing Scythe, a Steam version of an actual boardgame. Games take a long time, and I’m pretty terrible at it because it seems to need a lot of advance planning. We’re also planning to play some Jackbox games.
- Quiz: So we’re up to 3 regular online quiz nights now. Sadly, we didn’t too well in this week’s quizzes. I did win the Geekfight one last Wednesday, but the other two were a wash. As if that weren’t enough, we also decided to do internal trivia team quizzes, with the intent of putting them up on our relatively-new Youtube channel (Subscribe, etc). I hosted the first one last Wednesday, and the video will be up on YT as soon as our editor gets done with it. I’ll probably upload the slides once it’s up as well.
- Watching lately:
- Caught up with the “season finales” for Supergirl and Flash. In quotes because they literally just cut their seasons short and left a lot of cliffhangers to be resolved next season. Understandable, but so weird.
- various streaming shows have started up again their seasons that I’ve started watching: Rick and Morty, Patriot Act with Hasan Minaj
- Site updates: Nothing to announce! Been busy.
Recent Links of Interest:
- great post on software bloat
- I’m not big on sudoku, but I enjoyed watching this “miracle sudoku” that made the rounds last week
- Steve Yegge has left Grab. If you’re not familiar with him, he used to work at Google and wrote a bunch of longish but really good software development related articles back in the day. I like this recent post because he highlights some of the differences he noticed while working with people from this side of the world. It was actually a year ago that he last wrote about being at Grab. Although ick, Medium.
- I’ve been using the Worldometer site to track worldwide Covid19 stats, but it turns out it might not be super accurate.
- Capcom has re-released some old April Fools joke Street Fighter themed minigames! I liked the Street Fighter Academy one, it’s a trivia game!
- Great writeup of LearnedLeague, a long-running trivia league that’s invite-only. I kind of want to try to find a way to join, but it seems really tough! Their website has an archive of all the past sets and their questions. I browsed through a month’s worth of questions and they’re really hard, I could answer maybe 1-2 in 10 questions on average.