First, the spoiler-free summary (spoilers after this part):
- overall a very entertaining movie to sit down and watch popcorn and to enjoy the jokes and the space battles and the different colored lights and the tiny adorable tree creature
- GOTG's humor was one of its strong points and for the 2nd movie, they push the comedy up a notch, perhaps a little too much in some places. Lots of funny gags and one-liners
- I felt like some of the character/background development stuff was pushed a bit too hard as well
- the movie's plot also felt a bit thin and straightforward. I mean, you could see some of the major plot points coming a mile away. Maybe from the trailers even
- Star Lord was ok. Gamora/Nebula felt poorly written. Rocket was a bit annoying. Drax and Mantis were ok, although the space they have for Mantis' character overlaps with Drax a bit. I'm still not super happy with how Drax and Gamora are characterized in the MCU.
- I'm less happy with this movie's soundtrack compared to the first one
- Magugustuhan ba ni Mama: Certainly not. In fact, she chose to derp around the mall instead of coming with me and my cousin to watch.
- IMAX or not: Some visuals used the 3d effect, but nothing too exaggerated or critical. I'd say IMAX optional, but it definitely adds something to some scenes.
- There are five extra scenes near the credits (one of them is right before the credits roll, so I can't really say "post-credit" screens). Most of them are just setting the tone for the inevitable GOTG3
- Additionally, just pay attention to the background of the credits roll as well, it's great
- While I felt the movie was ok, it's kind of just more of the same of what we got with the first movie, which felt a lot stronger overall
- It would have been silly to expect Ego the Living Planet to have his Marvel comics appearance of a planet with a face, but guess what, we actually got it!
- Stallone as Starhawk and Yondu being officially a member of the "original Guardians" team was great. Oh and apparently Michael Rosenbaum was Martinex!
- The Stan Lee cameo here was really meant to push the "Stan Lee has been playing the same character in all his cameos" narrative
- Giving Peter a Zune was a cruel joke on Microsoft's expense, but sets us up for more music (maybe from later decades even!) for the 3rd movie
- Lots of random other Marvel fan-service cameo appearances too: Watchers, Cosmo, Howard the Duck, and I'm sure I missed/forgot quite a lot more
If you enjoyed my content for some reason, I'd love to hear from you! Here are some options: